DOES YOUR CHILD REQUIRE EARLY TREATMENT?
Only an experienced orthodontist like Dr. Brooke will be able to tell you with certainty whether your child requires early treatment. However, early treatment may be necessary if your child:
- Lost their baby teeth earlier or later than normal. (Children typically begin losing their baby teeth around age five.)
- Has trouble chewing or biting.
- Breathes through his or her mouth.
- Sucks on his or her thumb after age five.
- Displays any speech impediments.
- Has protruding teeth.
- Has teeth that don’t come together normally.
- Experiences a shifting of the jaw when opening or closing his or her mouth.
- Has crowded teeth.
If your child displays any of the below characteristics, it’s a good idea to bring him or her into Brooke Orthodontics for an evaluation. During our meeting, Dr. Brooke will evaluate your child’s teeth, mouth, gums and jaw. If he sees any of the following problems, he may recommend treatment:
If one or more of the above problems are present, Dr. Brooke may recommend a personalized treatment plan to correct the issue and provide your teen with a lifetime of healthy, straight and beautiful teeth.
EARLY ORTHODONTIC TREATMENT
Early orthodontic treatment (Phase One), is used to correct bite problems as well as guide tooth eruption and jaw growth. In addition, early treatment can provision for permanent tooth eruption, potentially reducing the need for extraction of permanent teeth in the future. Although early treatments usually begin after the permanent incisors have erupted, their times may vary depending on the severity of the problems to be corrected.
For many children, early treatments are advantageous since they may reduce the risk of dental injuries (dental protrusion), improve oral health by facilitating better hygiene, reduce uneven tooth wear (crossbites), counter speech and chewing impediments caused by openbites. Earlier treatment may also be financially beneficial, because of the added costs of adjunctive treatments (extractions, jaw surgey) that could potentially arise with delayed treatment.
BENEFITS OF EARLY TREATMENT
There are countless benefits of treating your child’s orthodontic issues early, including:
- Correct any problems before they become severe.
- Protect protruding front teeth from suffering an injury.
- Correct bad habits like thumb-sucking and tongue-thrusting.
- Improve your child’s overall appearance and self-esteem.
- Guide teeth so they grow in optimally.
- Reduce the need for extractions later on due to overcrowding issues.
- Improve the way the upper and lower jaw meet so your child’s teeth can grow and develop properly.
At Brooke Orthodontics, we are proud to offer a full range of orthodontic options for children, including:
By far one of our most popular options, Invisalign allows children to straighten their teeth with a clear, plastic appliance that is virtually invisible.
A relatively new treatment, the Damon system can straighten your childs teeth much more quickly – and with less pain – than traditional braces.